Epsom salt and table salt might be sound similar. However, both of them are two different things, made of different composition. As we all know, Epsom salt has many useful and beneficial effects. Now, the question is can we replace or substitute it with other substances for treating a certain condition? Here, we are trying to explain the substitute for Epsom salt to you.
Can Table Salt Substitute Epsom Salt?
It depends on the effect you want to get. Some of the effects of Epsom salt can’t be acquired from table salt. For example, Epsom salt is a good laxative for dealing with your constipation problem. However, you can’t use table salt for substitute Epsom salt. You can still use salt as a laxative, as long as it is non-iodized salt. Unfortunately, table salt is the iodized type, so you can’t use it for this purpose.
However, the table salt can be used to replace Epsom salt for treating the wound. If you think that pouring salt on the open wound will make it hurt, even more, you are wrong. The mineral in table salt can kill the bacteria, so it prevents any infection on the wound. So rather than Epsom salt for hemorrhoids treatment, there are still many other purposes of this salt.
Epsom Salt Substitute for Bath
Epsom salt is one of the top ingredients you can add to your bathtub. However, you also can replace it with other ingredients alternatives. Here are some of them.
- Sea salt – it is recommended by Mayo Clinic. This salt has an exfoliating effect, plus it is less irritating than Epsom salt. If you have sensitive skin, this is the best substitute for Epsom salt in bath you can use.
- Table salt – you also can use it to replace Epsom salt for a bath. It has the same therapeutic effect as sea salt and Epsom salt. If you want to know more about how to use it, you can read Kathi Keville’s book, “Herbs for Health and Healing”.
- Vinegar – this ingredient also has cleansing properties similar to Epsom salt. Use the apple cider vinegar on a warm bath for the best result.
Epsom Salt Substitute for Foot Soak
Epsom salt is very useful to relax your foot muscle. Moreover, it also can exfoliate the dead skin on your heels and sole. More importantly, it can reduce the foot odor as well. Now, if you don’t have Epsom salt for a foot soak, you can use below ingredients instead of Epsom salt.
- Baking soda – it also can exfoliate the dead skin and cleanse your feet.
- Vinegar – it kills bacteria and reduces the foot odor.
- Olive oil – it helps you to deal with dry foot skin, plus its high antioxidants also soften your foot skin.
Epsom Salt Substitute for Sore Muscles
Epsom salt with its relaxing and soothing properties is a perfect choice for relieving your sore muscle. But you need to notice if you have allergy with Epsom salt. However, here, we are going to show you another ingredient that is also a good choice to substitute Epsom salt for treating sole muscle. There are many of them. But, we recommend you to use essential oils.
Essential oils are available in many types. Among them, you can use these 3 essential oils to effectively treat your sore muscle:
- Mix Lemongrass, Peppermint, and Marjoram for relieving cramps.
- Mix Basil, Marjoram and Roman Chamomile for relieving spasm.
- Mix Marjoram, Roman Chamomile, Lavender, and Helichrysum for relieving tension.
Apply one of those mixtures to the area, and let it sit for a while. You will feel the effect soon after that.
Epsom Salt Substitute for Infection
Last but not least, Epsom salt is also an effective treatment for infection, especially open wounds. Now, if you are looking for the replacement when you run out this salt, you can use these ingredients:
- Turmeric – it can stop bleeding and stimulate the body to produce collagen to close the wound and stop the infection, thanks to curcumin in it.
- Garlic – Garlic has strong antibiotic and anti-microbial properties. Apply crushed garlic cloves on the wound and it will deal with it.
Those are several ingredients you can use to replace Epsom salt for many purposes. Epsom salt still is a good choice. But, if you don’t have it or it takes too much time to buy it for treatment you must get faster, use the ingredient we explained above.