Sitz bath is one of the treatments where Epsom salt can provide a great effect. However, most people don’t know how to use it or how much Epsom salt for sitz bath. When you choose the wrong composition, you won’t get the treatment that you want. No need to worry. Here we have several recipes you can use to treat your condition with Epsom salt and Sitz bath.
Epsom Salt Sitz Bath Benefits
Epsom salt has a relaxing and calming effect. Moreover, it also has anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial properties, which is useful to treat your health problems. When you use it for the Sitz bath, you also can add these beneficial effects to it. Therefore, hemorrhoids or other problems you have which mostly relate to inflammation conditions can be treated perfectly.
Recipe Epsom Salt Sitz Bath Postpartum
The postpartum condition has a great risk of inflammation. You also can feel itchy which makes it more uncomfortable. You can relieve this problem by using Epsom salt in the Sitz bath. How much Epsom salt sitz bath postpartum? Here is the recipe you can make.
- Fill three-fourth of your Sitz bath with warm water,
- Then, add these ingredients inside:
- ½ cup of Epsom salt,
- 2 tbsp baking soda,
- 2 tbsp witch hazel,
- 1 tbsp olive oil,
- 8 drops of lavender essential oil (optional),
- 8 drops of chamomile essential oil (optional).
- Now, you can soak in this mixture for 20 minutes to get the relaxing effect.
Recipe Epsom Salt Sitz Bath after Hemorrhoid Surgery
Epsom salt also is useful for supporting the recovery process after hemorrhoid surgery. To use Epsom salt for treating Hemorrhoid surgery recovery, here is the recipe:
- Fill up your Sitz bath with warm water. Make sure the water won’t overflow when you sit on it.
- Add ½ cup of Epsom salt in it.
- Soak for around 10 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse and dry the area. Do not scrub it. Just pat the area gently until you remove most of its moisture.
You also can use this recipe for Epsom salt bath with a standard bathtub. However, if you use the bathtub, use 2 cups of Epsom salt. The rest of the method is similar when you use the Sitz bath.
Recipe Epsom Salt Sitz Bath for Fistula
The last problem you also can treat using Epsom salt Sitz bath is a fistula. For this one, it depends on how much water you use in the Sitz bath. And here the recipe of how much Epsom salt you can add to your bath.
- Fill up the Sitz bath about 6 inches full with warm water. You also can add more depending on how you feel comfortable with the water volume.
- Add 1 cup of Epsom salt for every 6 inches of warm water. So, if you use more water, you also need to add more Epsom salt.
- Soak your bottom for around 15 minutes to 20 minutes.
That is how much Epsom salt for sitz bath you need for each treatment. Mostly, you will use at least ½ cup, depending on your condition severity. You may need to consult your doctor to know more about it.