Here is the best way how to treat travelers diarrhea you can try with natural remedies such as essential oils or medicine OTC with antibiotics amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin or Pepto Bismol, etc.
Understanding how to treat travelers diarrhea is very important when you travel a lot to areas where health treatment facility is not easy to find and you have to handle it yourself in an emergency situation.
Travelers diarrhea what is it?
Travelers diarrhea is a problem that occurs in the gastrointestinal tract characterized by frequent watery poop until abdominal cramps.
Traveler’s diarrhea generally occurs in people who come from developed countries when visiting areas with lower hygiene and sanitation standards. So that food or drink contains microbes that interfere with digestion. It is known that the traveler’s diarrhea affects 2 to 6 out of 10 travelers.
Travelers Diarrhea Causes and Symptoms
What Travelers Diarrhea Causes?
The cause of traveler’s diarrhea is mainly the result of virus, bacteria, parasite or microbe contamination of the foods and beverages you eat when visiting areas that have a difference in food.
Traveler’s diarrhea is mainly caused by food or drinks that contaminated by kind of microbes or bacteria such as Escherichia coli, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella.
The parasite can also contaminate food or drink with poor sanitation that includes Giardia, cryptosporidium and Entamoeba histolytica that commonly cause traveler’s diarrhea.
What Travelers Diarrhea Symptoms?
The symptoms of traveler’s diarrhea are characterized by watery stool, fever with high temperatures, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Generally, the symptoms of traveler’s mild diarrhea will disappear by itself within 3 – 4 days.
Diarrhea itself is defined as loose or watery stools (feces) frequently that usually happened at least three or four times in 24 hours.
How long it last travelers diarrhea? Diarrhea in travelers lasts up to 3 to 4 days with loose stool symptoms as well as vomiting and sometimes fever. In a few cases, travelers diarrhea lasts longer until reaching 3 months.
How to Treat Travelers Diarrhea
How to treat travelers diarrhea is to do some of the following important ways:
- Replacing fluids lost due to watery stools is very important to keep fluids in the body at normal levels. Use an oral rehydration solution (ORS) in the form of a salt rehydration solution that you can get at a pharmacy. Or it can be replaced using a lot of sports drinks sold in stores.
- Over-the-counter (OTC) medications such as Loperamide and diphenoxylate can reduce the frequency of defecation. The use of Loperamide in conjunction with antibiotics can help reduce the symptoms of travelers diarrhea. So it can help your activities run again.
- When you are on a flight, Pepto Bismol can help relieve diarrhea. The active agent of bismuth subsalicylate helps to alleviate tissue irritation \
- Antibiotics greatly help the symptoms of travelers diarrhea when your illness is caused due to food or drink contaminated due to pathogenic bacteria, or parasites.
- When to take Cipro for travelers diarrhea? Antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin or levofloxacin greatly help the bacteria that cause diarrhea in your trip.
- Antibiotics such as metronidazole, tinidazole, and nitazoxanide are helpful when travelers diarrhea occurs due to parasite Giardia
- If diarrhea occurs in children, the first treatment with rehydration fluid is highly recommended. If diarrhea in children continues, visiting a doctor is more advisable.
Travelers Diarrhea Natural Treatment With Home Remedy
When you suffer from diarrhea travelers suddenly and do not bring or get diarrhea medication. You can try to make a rehydration liquid mixture using natural home remedies.
Combine fresh 1/4 cup orange juice with 2 glasses of water, added with 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of honey, stirring until blended.
When the symptoms of diarrhea are reduced, you should eat foods that are low in fiber and easy to digest. Should avoid products made from milk for several days.
What should you eat when you have travelers diarrhea?
Consumption of a type of food belonging to the BRATT diet. Diet is a kind of food such as Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, and Tea.
How To Prevent Travelers Diarrhea During Your Trip?
How to avoid diarrhea traveler in high-risk areas, can be done with the following steps:
- Choose the type of food that if not make digestion impaired.
- Use a kind of antimicrobial for prophylaxis.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly with an antiseptic soap.
- It is recommended for carrying alcohol-based handwashing liquids.